News, Weather, Mozart, Sports, Eurovision Love Ænema & Perverted Videogames from Vleeptron

NGO_Vleeptron (aka "Bob from Massachusetts") recently featured LIVE on BBC WORLD SERVICE, heard briefly by Gazillions!!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Boreal Deciduous Hardwood Forest, New England, United States

old dude, all hair, swell new teeth

22 May 2005

The Dover Test, the Baghdad Blues


I thought by this time I would be reasonably familiar with my emotions, the way you get to know the roads and streets around where you live.

But these soldier poems and songs from World War One, and the Civil War, the anti-war Disco song from Vietnam, have plunged me into a very unexpected bitter stew of anger and depression.

If there weren't yet another ghastly, senseless war -- two wars -- going on, these poems and songs would be interesting and educational literature and history. But I was unprepared for how powerful the poems were -- are. Some things have not changed a bit. Severed arms, lost legs, blindness, madness, grieving parents far outliving their children.

And I wish I was just getting my war news from CNN or BBC or The New York Times, or from people on the Internet as angry as I am. But Iraq and Afghanistan are not quick and little footnote wars, film of the Victory Parade at 11.

Neighbors, people I know, people whose faces and names I know ... these wars have begun to devastate their lives. To devastate, not simply severely inconvenience.

Our primitive emergency winter cot shelter is closed now, it runs from Halloween to May Day. Now its homeless guests are invited to sleep al fresco, in the woods and on a little sandbar island in the Connecticut River.

But I have started volunteering at the shelter again, and I really dread the next winter season. When I first began volunteering, many of our regular guests were that National Cliche, fucked-up Vietnam vets, fucked up on liquor, fucked up on smack, or just organically, holistically and permanently fucked up. That wasn't a surprise, I expected that.

But within a year, Desert Storm vets started showing up, kids just a few years past high school, every bit as fucked up as their old Vietnam colleagues. That was the most unpleasant of surprises, barely enough time after the Victory Parade to start victimizing and abandoning them.

Nostrabobus looks into the crystal, the mists part, and he sees Iraq and Afghanistan vets lining up when the shelter opens again on Halloween, a half-year from now.

The Dover Test: Now that Americans can look again, if Americans look at the images of the flag-draped coffins returning to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware, will they keep supporting the Iraq and Afghanistan wars? Click on those images, it's your right to do so again.

Man. That's a lot of flag-draped coffins.

Once at the Bluebonnet Diner during Desert Storm, I overheard two older gentlemen at the counter -- they very possibly could have been vets themselves, perhaps of Korea, maybe WWII -- and one of them said: "It was different in Vietnam. Those guys were drafted. But these guys all volunteered."

So it's okay-er when volunteers die and come home in flag-drapped coffins, it's okay-er when they get maimed, or chemically poisoned, or drown in Post-Traumatic Shock Syndrome. It's okayer. There's no draft anymore. All these guys asked for it. They didn't have to join up. They knew what was coming.

The divorces will be okayer. The suicides will be okayer. The homelessness, the needle drug addiction, the disproportionate number of them in jail and prison -- they volunteered, they should learn to take personal responsibility for their actions.

Well, a small thing -- if the wars won't stop, I wish they'd keep Walter Reed Army Hospital open. It's a really fine hospital -- a rare thing for a military hospital. A lot of these women and men are going to need all the quality medicine Walter Reed has, and need it for a long time.

No poems, no songs, no links tonight, no MIDIs, no colors, no fancy typography. The urge, the very strong urge, to hop the Zeta Beam for Vleeptron, which hasn't had a war in -- Jeez, 1,404 years now. But no Zeta Beam for me tonight, no Time Machine. No Pizza.

Just the blues, the war blues, the neighbors' young relatives blues. The Baghdad Blues. The Kabul Blues. The Suicide Bomber Blues. (Fox News insists on calling them Homicide Bombers. That makes all the difference, I feel better when I hear them called that.) The Dover Air Force Base Returning Coffins Blues.

When will our VE and VJ Day be for these wars? When will the Armistice be signed? When will we get the Unconditional Surrender? Or when will we just march back to our own country over the bridge, or scramble onto the rooftop helicopters, and fly away, and then come home?

When will I wake up one morning because all the churchbells in Northampton are ringing and ringing for hours and hours? Will there be a day like that?

2 Comments:

Blogger Joana said...

A Woody Guthrie song on WWII:

So Long, It's Been Good to Know Yuh
(World War II Version)

I got the news that the war had begun
It was straight for the Army Hall that I run
And all of the people in my home town
Was a running up and a running down
Singing:

So long, it's been good to know you
So long, it's been good to know you
So long, it's been good to know you
There's a mighty big war that's got to be won
And we'll get back together again.

The crowd was packed by the railroad track
People was yelling and patting my back
And while the engineer rung his bell
I hugged all the mothers and kissed all the gals,
Singing:

So long, it's been good to know you
So long, it's been good to know you
So long, it's been good to know you
There's a mighty big war that's got to be won
And we'll get back together again

I got to the camp and I learnt how to fight
Fascists in daytime, mosquitoes at night
I got my orders to cross o'er the sea
So I waved "goodbye" to the girls I could see,
Singing:

So long, it's been good to know you
So long, it's been good to know you
So long, it's been good to know you
There's a mighty big war that's got to be won
And we'll get back together again

I got on a boat and I started to float
My old pack-sack and my big wool coat
With ten thousand men we rode the foam
And sung this song to the people back home:

So long, it's been good to know you
So long, it's been good to know you
So long, it's been good to know you
There's a mighty big war that's got to be won
And we'll get back together again

I landed somewhere on a fighting shore
With ten million soldiers and ten million more
And while we were chasing that Super Race
We sung this song in the chase.
It was:

So long, it's been good to know you
So long, it's been good to know you
So long, it's been good to know you
There's a mighty big war that's got to be won
And we'll get back together again

So it won't be long till the fascists are gone
And all of their likes are finished and done
We'll throw the clods of dirt in their face
And walk away from that lonesome place
Singing:

So long, it's been good to know you
So long, it's been good to know you
So long, it's been good to know you
There's a mighty big war that's got to be won
And we'll get back together again



Words and Music by Woody Guthrie
© Copyright 1965 by Folkways Music, Inc


Copyright 2004, The Woody Guthrie Foundation and Archives
Contact us for questions or comments.
Site design by Michael Smith & Anna Canoni

08:33  
Blogger Vleeptron Dude said...

Well, that's the strange thing about Wars ... once every Blue Moon, there's a "good war." There's a book, an oral history of World War II, by Studs Turkel. It was published during the Vietnam War. The title, so everyone would know it wasn't about Vietnam: "The Good War."

My mother-in-law, she's 84. No draft for her, but during World War II she volunteered and was a US Navy officer. A few years ago, on Veterans Day, she sent me a Veterans Day card. Unbelievably sweet and thoughtful, one old Vet to another.

I wrote her back to tell her how much I envied her luck. She pulled "The Good War." I got drafted into A Bad Stupid Useless War.

She and I talk about Old Veteran Stuff. But I so envy her. And I am so grateful. Because she took a few years off to volunteer, I'm not in a gas chamber, and everybody else doesn't have to speak Japanese or German.

Woody, whose guitar had a bumper sticker that said

THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS

and his folk-singin' pal Cisco Houston, they signed up to be sailors on merchant ships in the North Atlantic, dodging U-boots. "So Long, It's Been Good to Know You" -- Woody's original version was about the Dust Bowl, when all the farmland in the middle of America turned into a giant desert of dust, nothing would grow, during the Great Depression, and everybody had to leave their homes in Kansas and Oklahoma to find some work in California. All the neighbors, friends forever, had to say: "So long, it's been good to know you." The song sounds cheery, but it's so terribly sad.

Then "The Good War" came, and thanks for Woody's "Good War" version. I never saw it before, but I sure know the tune.

"... This dusty old Dust Storm
is a-gettin' my Home
and we've got to be moving along."

17:20  

Post a Comment

<< Home