News, Weather, Mozart, Sports, Eurovision Love Ænema & Perverted Videogames from Vleeptron

NGO_Vleeptron (aka "Bob from Massachusetts") recently featured LIVE on BBC WORLD SERVICE, heard briefly by Gazillions!!!

My Photo
Name:
Location: Great Boreal Deciduous Hardwood Forest, New England, United States

old dude, all hair, swell new teeth

27 October 2005

this is the nearest to being alive


The 'Wall of Death' has been an attraction on the show grounds around Europe for over 70 years and remains one of the world's greatest travelling shows in existence. Using vintage Indian motorbikes the Ken Fox troupe perform to stunned audiences on an 18ft high vertical wall. With over 20 years experience Ken Fox is widely recognised as the world's leading Wall of Death rider and performs tricks and stunts with grace, agility and the finely tuned precision of a true artiste. Certainly a show NOT to be missed.

[VLEEPTRON SEZ: Ken Fox, on his Indian Motocycle (manufactured in Springfield, Massachusetts USA) is the blur at the left of the image. It is just slightly possible that this is the very same Wall of Death which Richard Thompson was thinking about.]

[VLEEPTRON CONFESSES: You can waste your time on the other rides, but riding a 1969 twin-carburetor Triumph Bonneville Motorcycle -- "world's fastest production motorcycle" -- at 105 miles per hour -- this is the nearest to being alive.]


Okay, so I'm a Dickhead.


Richard Thompson is one of the most astonishingly brilliant songwriters and performers on Planet Earth. This is one of his most brilliant songs.

Don't look for some cheesy MIDI -- buy the goddam CD. (Or, you know, download the .mp3 to your iPod, whatever you Youthoidz do with music that you can't touch or feel.)

Fans, followers and obsessive Kult worshippers of Richard Thompson are called Dickheads. I'm a Dickhead. Sometimes he likes to play a mile from my house. How very convenient and thoughtful of him. (I have his autograph on a paper pie plate.)

And sometimes I schlep to London's Royal Albert Hall to see and hear him. He made the cavernous Victorian monstrosity as intimate as a dark little nightclub. I got to sit in a Royal Box 'cause I bought my tickets late.

Best I can do for the tune is these guitar tablatures. But that's totally cool because he plays them on his guitar. Fabulously. (STEVE_H -- learn this song! Now!)

[VLEEPTRON EXTRA! Werner Herzog's wild new documentary film, "Grizzly Man" -- Richard Thompson does the soundtrack!!! Unglaublich!]

Wall of Death

Richard Thompson

on "Shoot Out the Lights" with Linda Thompson (1982)
Watching The Dark (1993)
two letter words: live 1994 (1996)
Celtschmerz: Live UK ?98 (1998)
Faithless (2004)

Let me ride on the Wall of Death
one more time
Let me ride on the Wall of Death
one more time
You can waste your time on the other rides
but this is the nearest to being alive
oh oh oh Let me take my chances
on the Wall of Death

You can go with the crazy people
in the Crooked House
You can fly away on the Rocket
or spin in the Mouse
The Tunnel of Love might amuse you
And Noah's Ark might confuse you
but Let me take my chances
on the Wall of Death

On the Wall of Death
All the World is far from me
On the Wall of Death
It's the nearest to being free

Well you're going nowhere
when you ride on the Carousel
And maybe you're strong
but what's the good of ringing a bell?
The Switchback will make you crazy
Beware of the Bearded Lady
Oh oh oh let me take my chances
on the Wall of Death

Let me ride on the Wall of Death
one more time
Let me ride on the Wall of Death
one more time
You can waste your time on the other rides
but this is the nearest to being alive
Oh oh oh Let me take my chances
Let me take my chances
Let me take my chances
on the Wall of Death

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home